CONSTRUCT THE MOMENT | FINAL SET

I am really proud of the set that we have created. We have spent 2 weeks solidly building painting, and it has payed off. The set that we have created looks professional, and when inhabited with a person in character, it portrays a narrative.

This project has taught me a lot about the world of theatre design and construction. It has shown me that there is a lot more to consider when designing for shows. I need to be more  thorough with my design process; for example I need to consider every finish and every join, all the small details are so important.

12115804_1128612883816779_7103578099595202720_n10373827_1128612797150121_6177026253257702752_n1450712_1128612740483460_5076857402616064637_n

The group with our set:

1491367_1294195397260983_6429818799654371550_o

Advertisements

CONSTRUCT THE MOMENT | PROCESS

This project Is testing to say the least. Working in a group is always stressful, and I think this project proves it can be done. This project is a taste of how group dynamics work in this line of work. We have a designer, a director and then work men. It is interesting for all of us to see how that plays out.

We are using a lot of new techniques throughout this project. It is interesting to learn all these new skills and to be forced to think about budget. The fact that we have just finished scenic arts week has really helped us with this project, it is enabling us to achieve high standards of finish.

A large portion of our set is wood grained. Katie decided that this should be old and worn pine. We have to wood grain the staircase and the top of the steel deck in exactly the same way for it to tie together well.

To begin we mixed a very light sandy colour as a base coat. This was then followed with a layer of glaze to lock in the paint. To create the pine colours we used a orange brown and a dark brown mixed together. The dark brown layer made the pine look more authentic and old, whereas the orange colour gave the pine the ‘pine’ colour. For the wood grain detail we used a special tool that you glide along the surface of the paint and it takes away paint where the grain should be.

Technique:

IMG_1631.jpg

Process:

Another trial we faced with this project was sourcing a red carpet to run up the centre of the staircase. To solve this we called up a local carpet retailer to ask if they had anything they could give us. They luckily were able to supply us with a length of brown carpet. So now the challenge of turning the carpet red came into play. For this we had to do multiple tests. From our tests we worked out that painting the carpet a base of bright red and then spraying into the edges with a dar burgundy was the best way. This two tone effect gave the illusion of a old carpet that has been used well. To further the worn idea we used rasps and files to make the carpet thinner and frayed in the more used areas.

Carpet testing:

IMG_1663.jpg

Finished carpet:

1491367_1294195397260983_6429818799654371550_o

 

 

CONSTRUCT THE MOMENT | THE BEGINNING

Being in the workshop is something that I really enjoy. I love the idea of physically creating something. There is something really interesting about seeing a design realised.

To begin constructing this project we had to edit Katie’s design slightly. We were given a material budget that we had to stick to. This presented us with a few problems; for example building a spiral staircase requires a lot of wood. We decided to create a smaller version of this design, a smaller platform and flat.

Smaller model:

set model